Leather pants are a staple in my wardrobe and after you read this post, I hope that they become a staple in yours too. They are versatile and will look great with just about any top and shoes that you may already own. Most importantly, they will last you for many seasons to come!
I bought my first pair of leather pants when my godmother, a fashion icon to many, told me that no other piece of clothing as stylish as leather pants, would keep me warm in the cold bitter days of winter. I was hesitant at first, every pair I saw was a lot more money than what I was used to paying for clothing at the time. Luckily, I got my first pair during a major winter sale at Bebe. And in fact, every pair I have bought since, I have gotten during the post-holiday winter sales. How serendipitous for this post to pop up on your inbox this time of the year!
In all seriousness, leather pants are much more than just an overpriced pair of sexy snow pants. They are also an incredible confidence booster! Whenever I introduce them to any of my clients they feel beautiful, sexy and most importantly, powerful in them. I experience the same feelings every time I wear mine. And I am pretty sure that you will feel just as wonderful!
By now, so many years after getting my first pair, I have collected 6 more from different brands. 2 from Burberry, 2 from Vince, 1 from J. Crew and one from a limited Athleta collection. The quality and craftsmanship from Burberry & Vince is extraordinary, while J. Crew makes quite an affordable pair and in the most varied sizes I have found.
Without doing a full body shape analysis with each and every one of you, is hard to point out the individual perfect pair just for you, but I believe that this guide can be a great start.
One of the most important things you need to know about leather is that it stretches, sometimes, up to a full size. Always look at the label to determine if the item is a 100% leather and inquire with the sales staff to understand whether their clients have reported stretching and if so, by how much. If the item is not a 100% leather, then the stretching may not be as significant. For instance, one of mine is 70% leather, 20% Polyester & 10% Elastin. They did not stretch at all. All my other pairs are 100% leather and they all stretched almost a full size after the first few wears. But once they stretch out after a few wears, they stay true to that size.
With the above information in mind, here is my guide to buying the perfect pair of leather pants for you:
1. Select a smaller size if you are anticipating that they will stretch
2. If you are an hour glass figure you can pretty much get away with any style. Leather leggings or skinny styles will definitely fit you best. I love my J. Crew ones. Though I must say that the stitching has needed reinforcement a few times. This is an issue I have not experienced with any other brand I own. If you experience the same issue, bring them to one of the J. Crew boutiques for fixing.
3. If you are slender and have very little to no curves, you can choose a style with pockets, bows or pleats. Check these ones from Vince and a great sale price too. Vince is one of my favorite brands to recommend as the quality of their leather is absolutely phenomenal. I have two pairs, one over 6 years old and they still look and feel like new!
4. For those who carry their weight on their hips or midsection, a wide leg and flat front pair are best. Choose a dark shade and stay away from bright colors or pants with pockets or pleats as that will make you look wider. Your body type can also make a skinny leg work so long as you style them appropriately. I particularly like these from Michael Kors.
I also like these vegan version from Topshop. Though I must confess that I haven’t experimented too much with vegan leather pants so I can’t guarantee that they will keep you as warm in the cold winter days. Nor do I know with certainty whether they will stretch.
5. Once you have found the right shape for you, try them on and keep them on for a bit. Move around in them, sit down, squat etc. And when you do, notice any sudden changes like bulging or gaping. This is usually an indication that the size/style may not work for you. Engage the sales staff and ask as many questions as possible. If the item is a final sale, make sure that you fully love them before buying them, otherwise, skip them and look somewhere else.
I hope that my guide helps you find the perfect pair of leather pants. A pair which you will have for many seasons to come! If you find them please do share them on Instagram and give me a shout out @glamorousyogi. And If you are struggling determining your body type or what style would work best for you please feel free to reach out to me. I offer virtual Style Consultations and I can help you determine your body shape so that we can find the perfect pair for you!
Happy shopping friends!